Saturday, February 28, 2015

Simply Perfect Guacamole & Creamy Avocado Citrus Dressing - Two Recipes Out of One



I'm sure there are a million different guacamole recipes out there but, I generally always stick with my super easy and simple recipe because my entire family loves it... even the kiddos.  The guacamole is so quick and easy to make and one batch never seems to be enough for this family of 4.  It's simple, fresh and has a nice zip to it.  It's so simple in fact, that I never really thought it worth of sharing on the blog.  But then, my dressing was born...

I'm always trying to come up with super simple, tasty dressings out of what I have on hand since I stopped purchasing dressing off the shelves over 2 years ago.  It just seemed that, no matter how "healthy", "natural" or Organic a dressing was, it always had at least one (if not more) ingredient that I would rather do without. So one day, after whipping up some fresh guac and a salad I was racking my brain for what type of dressing I wanted, I opened to fridge to see a bottle of OJ staring at me.  And that's how the Creamy Citrus Avocado Dressing was born.  This dressing is one of my favorites!  It's quick, simple and it will keep well in the fridge for 5-7 days.  Just shake well before using.  It's fresh, slightly tangy and creamy.  And it's vegan & paleo friendly all at the same time.  (Carnivores and Herbivores unite!)  It will work wonderfully on a variety of salad and/or veggie combinations.  My toddler actually loves zucchini and yellow squash diced up and tossed with a bit of this dressing. (SCORE!)


 

Simply Perfect Guacamole

  • 2 large room temp Avocados (make sure they are soft and ripe)
  • Juice from 1 large lime (or 2 small)
  • 2 cloves of garlic, crushed (3-4 if you want a little more heat)
  • salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Mash everything together really well with a fork and enjoy!  
(See, told you it was super simple...but, sometimes simple is SO refreshing).  Reserve 1/2 C of this for the dressing recipe below.


Creamy Avocado Citrus Dressing

Ingredients:

  • Apx. 1/2 C Orange Juice (I like the medium or high pulp versions)
  • Apx. 1/2 C prepared Simply Perfect Guacamole (recipe above)
  • Generous sprinkle of salt
  • Apx. 1/2 tsp of Kirkland Signature Organic No-Salt Seasoning (optional, found at Costco but, if you can get it...I highly recommend it)
OR
  • Apx. 1/4 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper  (if you can't get the Organic No-Salt Seasoning)

Directions:

  1. Start with Apx. 1/4 C of Orange Juice into the blender and add apx. 1/2 C of the prepared guacamole.  
  2. Add the seasonings and blend on high to emulsify.  
  3. It will be very thick so drizzle in apx. 1/4 C more of OJ (you may need a bit more...you want it to be thick and creamy yet, easily pourable).
  4. Enjoy!!!

That's all there is to it!  I hope you enjoy the recipes.  Come back and let me know if you try it out.

2 comments: