Friday, February 27, 2015

Paleo Sweet Potato & Apricot Hummus - Bean, Dairy & Gluten Free


It started with my little nursling, my son, who has suffered tummy issues from day one.  I was craving hummus but, I knew that chickpeas and probably even lentils would not sit will with him so, I set out to make a bean free hummus that still included protein.  And this is what I came up with.  I have served this at many gatherings and everyone seems to love it. I have no idea why it has taken me SO insanely long to post this recipe when I created it about 2 years ago.  I'm such a lazy blogger.  Which is why I have no real followers.  Ha!  I'm okay with that.  Really though, most of the time I'm just super busy and it has nothing to do with laziness.  ;)  Roasting the peppers and soaking the apricots certainly takes time but, trust me on this one...you don't want to leave the topping off.  It really makes the hummus amazing.  This hummus is smooth, creamy and flavorful and rather than just using corn chips or crackers, it goes great with celery, carrot sticks and even apple slices.  And if your not a fan of curry, I urge you to give this a whirl anyways because it's very subtle and I had a friend who was not a fan of anything curry yet, they LOVED this hummus.  I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you think.

Sweet Potato Apricot Hummus w/ Roasted Red Pepper Topping

Ingredients for the Sweet Potato Apricot Hummus

  • 20 Dried Apricots (soaked) *see directions, 10 reserved for topping mixture*
  • 3 Large Sweet Potatoes (peeled, cubed and steamed)
  • 1/2 C Almond Butter (creamy)
  • 1/4 C Lemon Juice
  • 1 Large Clove of Garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp Cumin
  • 1/2 tsp Curry
  • 1/8 C Olive or Avocado Oil

Directions for Hummus

  1. Cover 20 dried apricots with very hot water (I use my Keurig) until water is just above apricots.  Let these soak at least 20 min, you can work on everything else including roasting your peppers in the meantime. *10 of these will be used in the topping mixture and some, possibly all of the liquid will be used in the hummus*
  2. Peel, chop and steam your sweet potatoes and add to your food processor.
  3. Add the almond butter, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, curry, oil and 10 soaked apricots (liquid reserved) to the food processor.
  4. Puree and slowly pour in the apricot liquid until mixture is thick and smooth.  (Sometimes I only use half but, if my potatoes are very large, I will generally use all of the liquid.)
  5. Place in a serving dish making a slight indent in the center for the topping.  (I like to separate this into 2 serving dishes for more even distribution of the topping.)
  6. If topping is not done yet, start chilling in the fridge.

Ingredients for Roasted Red Pepper Topping

  • 2 Sweet Red Bell Peppers, roasted, peeled and finely diced
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 10 Soaked Apricots (see directions above), finely diced
  • 1/2 C Sunflower Seeds
  • 1/2 C Hemp Seeds or finely chopped pine nuts
  • Apx. 1/4-1/2 C Olive or Avocado Oil

Directions for Topping

  1. Roast, peel and finely dice your peppers.  I learned how to roast peppers here.  You may want to make extras while your at it because they are SO good!
  2. Add all ingredients, except oil to a bowl and mix well
  3. First add 1/4 of the oil and a little more if needed.  You want the topping moist but, not drowned in oil.
  4. Spoon into a nice looking circle in the center of the hummus.
  5. Chill completed hummus with topping in the fridge for at least 4 hours.  I like to make it the night before events.

No comments:

Post a Comment