Friday, January 31, 2014

Chia Berry Vinaigrette (Vegan, Oil Free, Gluten Free)


I have commitment issues...with salad dressings that is.  I buy a bottle, use it 2-3 times and then I'm board with it and ready to try another.  But, since bottled dressings last for what seems to be forever, I keep it around for when I might want to have a rendezvous with it again.  And before I know it, I have bottles of dressings taking over my fridge.

This is just one reason that I stopped buying bottled salad dressings a while ago. I also discovered how easy it is to make your own (in MOST cases) and how much fresher they taste.  Not to mention, you know exactly what's in it, which is great when you have diet restrictions/allergies like gluten, soy & dairy. 

Sometimes I find recipes online & sometimes I create my own on a whim.  Which is exactly what I did today.   I planned to toss in some soon-to-be-not-fresh berries into my salad but, I was racking my brain for a good dressing recipe to compliment it.  That's when it hit me to use the berries IN the dressing.  It's super quick & easy to make.  It goes great with dark leafy greens & pecans. 

 Chia Berry Vinaigrette (Vegan, Oil Free, Gluten Free)

Ingredients:

1.5 C Mixed fresh berries (I used strawberries, blueberries, blackberries & raspberries)

1/3 C Balsamic Vinegar

1/4 C unsweetened coconut milk (or unsweetened vanilla coconut)

Juice from 1/4 of a large lemon

2 generous pinches of salt

1 TbSp Raw Honey

1 Tbsp Chia Seeds

Directions:

Blend on high for 10 seconds & enjoy for up to 7 days. (Keep refrigerated) 

No comments:

Post a Comment