Saturday, September 21, 2013

Make-ahead Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten, Dairy & Soy Free)



Back when I was pregnant with Mr. L, I discovered the Immaculate Baking co. chocolate chip cookie dough.  It was so yummy both baked or right out of the freezer.  (Yes, I eat raw cookie dough, eggs and all...as long as it's been frozen).  But, my excitement was short lived when I discovered the dough had soy.  Soy causes a LOT of issues for me (though, while pregnant...not quite as much).  So, I studied the ingredient list on their package and decided to create my own version of the cookie dough.  After only 2 attempts, I think I hit the nail on the head!  This recipe makes about 4 dozen cookies which is great if your serving a ton of people.  Not having a party?  Even better because this dough can be formed into balls and frozen, so then you can enjoy a cookie or two...or six... anytime the mood strikes.  And honestly, they bake up a little fluffier when you bake them from frozen (soft in the middle and crispy on the edges). Pictures of the fluffier version to follow soon.  If you bake them from just being chilled in the fridge, they will be a little more flat and a little more crispy.  But still oh, so tasty!  And if you don't have reservations about eating raw cookie dough, then you will LOVE having some on hand in the freezer.  And next in line to be blogged is a Maple Bacon version of this cookie.  Out of 4 dozen, only 3 were left after my sons 1st Birthday.  And those 3 didn't last much longer.

 Make-ahead Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten, Soy & Dairy Free)


Ingredients:

1/2 tsp. Xantham Gum
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 C Potato Starch
3/4 C Rice Flour
3/4 C Tapioca Starch
1 C Soy-free Shortening  (I use Spectrum Organic). *see note below
1 1/2 C Coconut Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Tblsp. Molasses
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
1-2 C Chocolate Chips (I use Enjoy Life Brand) **see note below

Dough Directions:
  1.  In a medium bowl, blend the Xantham Gum, Baking Soda, Salt, Potato Starch, Rice Flour & Tapioca Starch together with a whisk and set aside.
  2. In the large work bowl of your electric mixer, cream the shortening until smooth.
  3. Add sugar and cream until well mixed.
  4. Add eggs one at a time.
  5. Add Vanilla & Molasses.
  6. Turn mixer to very low speed and slowly add flour mixture in, scraping the sides.
  7. Once all of the flour has been added and mostly mixed in, turn mixer speed up to mix really well.
  8. Stir the chocolate chips in by hand.
  9. Transfer dough to a large sheet of wax paper, place in bowl and cover well.  Chill for several hours.  (Overnight is often best if you want to make cookie dough balls to freeze).
  10. If freezing, once the dough is fully chilled, it should be pretty firm.  Rub your hands with coconut oil and start forming balls of dough about 1&1/2" in diameter.
  11. Place your balls on a sheet of wax paper in an airtight container and separate each layer of dough balls with wax paper.  This will make it SO much easier to grab what you need when your ready to bake. 



Cooking Instructions:

Preheat oven to 325

From room temperature: Bake for  apx. 12 min.

From the fridge: Bake for apx.  16 - 18 min.  (Mine are usually done by 16)

From frozen:  Bake for apx. 18-20 min.  (mine are usually done by 18)




*I like to use 1/2 regular shortening & 1/2 butter flavor shortening.  However, I have made it with just regular and they still taste fantastic.  Spectrum Organic is the only soy free shortening I have found.

**2 cups of CC's is a standard amount however, I was short on CC's the last time I made this recipe and turned out 1 C worked just as great.  I actually like them with a little less chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment