Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Autumn Ambrosia



I have not posted anything new in a while.  These kiddos sure do keep my busy!  :)  Especially now that we are partially homeschooling our oldest, Miss M.  My list of recipe creations in my recipe journal is really growing...I may never catch up.  I hope to get at least 1 new recipe up per week for the time being.  I really don;t get how other mom's are able to do this on a daily basis.  Anyways... in preparation for Mr. L's 1st birthday, I came up with a fall themed menu.  I knew I wanted to serve fresh fruit but, fruit salad usually screams summer in my opinion.  So, I came up with the idea to only use fall fruits.  As I pondered it more, I decided I wanted to make it more like an ambrosia... A very healthy, dairy free version.  Plus, Autumn Ambrosia sounds nicer than Autumn Fruit Salad.  Don't ya think? The recipe is pretty simple but, delicious!  Although it's tasty when eaten immediately, I suggest making this the night before you plan to serve it so that the flavors really meld together.  This is great served as a side at a party or even as a healthy make-ahead breakfast.  This recipe can serve 6-10 depending on the serving sizes taken.  (i.e. if your serving a lot of food at a party, guests are likely to take less of any given item to save room for other items.)

Autumn Ambrosia

Ingredients: 

1 cup of coconut fat (either from homemade coconut milk or from a chilled can of full fat coconut milk)
1/2 Tblsp. Apple Pie Spice
1 Apple, diced (I used Gala because I could not find Honeycrisp yet but, If I had, that's what I would use).
1 Bosc Pear, diced
1 Bartlett Pear, diced
1 C Red Grapes, halved
1 C dried Cranberries (I get mine in the bulk section at the health food store... They are bigger, moister, softer & less sweet than the Craisins brand).  
1 C chopped Pecans, toasted (if serving at a party, keep separate in case of allergies).

Directions:

  1. Using a hand mixer, whip coconut fat & spice until smooth and creamy.
  2. Add all of the chopped fruit, cranberries & pecans (unless serving to a crowd with allergies).
  3. Mix well & enjoy!  (Best enjoyed the next day).  

No comments:

Post a Comment