Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Banana Oat Muffins *Vegan & Gluten Free* - A Pin Re-Spin


I finally got around to making another pinned recipe, these Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins looked so moist in the picture that they just called my name anytime I would scroll through my pins.  But, as always, I had a few changes to make. :)  And it's funny because, Debbie Reichert at Fit & Healthy adapted her recipe from another blogger.  So this muffin recipe has definitely evolved.  The first was using GF Oats to ensure it would be Gluten Free and the next thing was finding something to replace the yogurt to make it dairy free....full fat coconut milk sounded good to me.  I actually fully intended to use the 2 eggs the original recipe called for however, I only had 1 on hand and I had already added the other ingredients to my food processor.  So, I improvised by adding an extra tablespoon of flaxseed meal.  (I usually soak it in 2 tablespoons of hot water to use as an egg replacement but, I figured the extra moisture from the coconut milk would suffice).  I chose to go with Enjoy Life chocolate chips for my add in because, who doesn't love just a little chocolate?   The muffins came out delicious and the texture was fabulous.  But, the more I thought about it, I figured, if they came out great with only 1 egg, then maybe, I can just eliminate the egg all together and make these vegan friendly.  I still had 3 more overripe bananas sitting on my counter and the muffins were a hit with the whole family so I knew they would not last long.  Sooooo...I went for it & whipped up another batch lickety-split.  The end results?  Perfection!  They had the exact same texture as the first batch (they are mixed in a container and there is no telling which is which now).  These really are SO good!  Paired with some fresh fruit (and a cup of coffee), these are a great way to have a quick and easy breakfast.  And they are perfect for young kids to serve themselves if they are asking for a snack.

Ingredients:

2.5 cups Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1 cup full fat coconut milk (mixed well).  The canned version or homemade.

1/2 cup honey
(or maple syrup...My next batch will include maple and pecans... mmmmm)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

4 TbSp ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas 


Optional Mix-In Ideas:

1/4 C Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
1/2 C chopped Macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts or pecans.  (I just LOVE macadamia paired with banana)
1/4 - 1/2 c Raisins, chopped apricots or other dry fruit
A little combination of 2 or more


Directions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
    grease your muffin pan (I use Spectrum Organic's Shortening...it's soy free!)
  2. With your chopping blade in place, process the oats in a food processor for 15 seconds. (The original pin said no flour, however, this process creates Oat Flour.)
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients (in no particular order) to the food processor.
  4. Process for about  30-45 seconds to ensure everything is well mixed.
  5. Remove blade, scraping batter off into work bowl.
  6. Add mix-in of choice and stir well.
  7. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of batter into each muffin tin. (if there is any batter remaining, divvy it up among the ones with the least amount to even them all out).
  8. Bake for 16-18 min.

1 recipe makes 12 muffins  



No comments:

Post a Comment