Friday, May 24, 2013

Mocha Banana Smoothie


Ever since I had Mr. L back in September, I have been on this crazy smoothie & oatmeal kick.  That's all I have for breakfast on any given day, one or the other.  Well, if I have a smoothie, I have both since I put oatmeal IN my smoothies.  It makes them so thick & creamy and really makes it stick to your ribs if you know what I mean.  And sometimes I will also have a smoothie for lunch.  It's a fast, convenient way for me to get a "meal" in my system while keeping up with the kiddos.  Sometimes I find myself in a smoothie rut, making the same recipes over and over.  Well yesterday, I changed it up on a whim and I just HAD to blog it because it came out SO good!  As I was getting ready to make a smoothie for lunch, my half-consumed iced Americano was sitting on the counter staring at me.  That's when it hit me!  Coffee...chocolate..bananas...oatmeal...almond butter (for protein).  Oh. My. Deliciousness!!

Since I usually don't have iced Americano's sitting around my house I decided to re-create it again this morning, brewing my own coffee.  But, I was out of almond butter so I tried peanut butter which, although it has a more distinct flavor, still worked equally delicious in this recipe.  Now that summer is in full swing, I plan on keeping my fridge stocked with homemade iced coffee.  (Decaf for me since I'm nursing).

*UPDATE 7/2/13:  So I saw a different mocha smoothie version that also included spinach...but their recipe did not have bananas and had a lot of ice (i.e. water).  I figured, why not try it out in this smoothie.  The results?  Just as delicious as before... you can;t even tell that something else was added.  I had also just purchased a huge bag of Hemp Hearts from Costco so I did that in place of the almond or peanut butter.  So the new variations are listed below.*

So, here we go...

Mocha Banana Smoothie

Ingredients:

1 & 1/2 C Chilled Coffee
2 - 3 FROZEN Bananas *trust me, don't skip this step* 
1/2 C Rolled Oats (NOT Quick cook) *I use GF Oats*
2-3 TblSp. Creamy Almond OR Peanut Butter  OR Raw Hemp Seeds
2-3 Heaping TblSp. of Cocoa Powder
1 C Raw Baby Spinach Leaves *optional...but, I swear..you will never even know it's in there (and neither will your kids.  After all, it's already brown because of the cocoa).*
Apx. 1/4 - 1/2 C Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (or plant based milk of choice...unsweetened recommended).

Step 1 *2 Options*:
a.)  Brew 1 small cup of coffee in your machine (I use a Keurig). Add ice & stir until chill. OR b.) Use 1 & 1/2 C of cold coffee if you keep iced coffee in your fridge.

Step 2:
 Toss all of the ingredients EXCEPT for the Almond Milk into the blender.

Step 3:
While blending, slowly add Almond Milk until desired consistency is reached. *I like my smoothies thick & creamy, not watery so, I only add a little*

Step 4:
ENJOY!  Thick, creamy & oh, so delicious!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment