Monday, February 18, 2013

Gluten Free Apple Oat & Carrot Chicken Nuggets


 In my search for some homemade chicken nugget recipes, I came across this one that was intriguing.  However, in my typical fashion, I can almost never just stick to a recipe and I just had to make some changes to suit my personal preference.  The first being the chicken.  I did not have ground chicken on hand but, I had boneless, skinless breasts on hand and I have a workhorse of a food processor on hand so I figured I would give it a shot and "grind up" my chicken in the food processor.  It worked!

The other change was that these needed to be gluten free.  I scoured my cabinets for something that would work well as gluten free bread crumbs and came up with corn chips.  These worked out great and added a nice little crunch.

My directions involve the use of a food processor for most steps.  This is the one I have been using for over 5 years.  It's been a great work horse and it's my most used kitchen appliance for sure!

Now, let's get started...

Gluten Free Apple, Oat & Chicken Nuggets

For the chicken mixture:

2 lbs. of Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (cut into large chunks)
1 Apple, Grated
3 Carrots, Grated
1/3 C Gluten Free Oatmeal, Uncooked
1 tsp. Salt

For the coating:

Apx. 6 large handful's of corn chips
2 Tbsp. of Kirkland Signature Organic No-Salt Seasoning
3 Eggs, beaten

Directions:

First, toss your chips & the seasoning blend into the processor with the chopping blade.  Process until the corn chips have been ground up very finely.  This can take 2-3 min.  Set aside.

Give the processor a quick rinse and attach the shredding blade.

Next, shred your apple & carrots.

Mix them up with the oatmeal & salt, set aside.

No need to rinse your processor this time.  Just  put the chopping blade back in and put 1/2 the chicken and 1/2 of the shreds & oatmeal mixture into the processor.  Process until mixture is smooth and forms a large ball (kind of like dough).  Place in a large bowl and repeat with the 2nd half.  Mix both halves together really well in the bowl.

Obviously, make sure your processor and blade is cleaned REALLY well after this.

Now for the "fun" part...forming balls of raw chicken nuggets.  But hey, your hands are totally washable so, don't fret.  Just make sure they are also really clean before starting.  I made my balls about the size of a pin-pong ball and slightly flattened it.  (I thought they would have shrunk down a bit but, they actually didn't).  This size yielded about 26 nuggets.  My 5 yr. old could only eat 3 and hubby & I could only eat 5-6 in one sitting.  I just stacked my pre-formed nuggets on a plate until I had used up all the chicken mixture.

You might want to wash your hands really well now, even though your going to touch raw chicken and raw eggs in second.

Go ahead and preheat your oven to 400 now.

dredge each nugget into the egg wash and then coat well with the corn chip mixture, placing them on a baking sheet.  (no need to grease it).  I had to cook these in 2 batches.

Bake for 30 min, turning nuggets over after 15 min.

We re-heated leftovers the next day by popping them in the oven set to 425 for just 8 min.  From frozen, give it 10-12 min.

These were really good & I love that I knew exactly what they were made of.  Like any nugget, they are great for dipping.  After all of that work, I refused to use a store bought bbq sauce, so I made my own.  (I'm pondering packaging & selling my sauce in the future so, no recipe as of right now).

No comments:

Post a Comment