Thursday, November 8, 2012

Sweet Potato Apple Chili



Amazingly, Miss M's new favorite meal is chili. (Mainly because she likes to put cheese on it & she is all about cheese). So anyways, she had been asking me to make chili and since I knew today's high would be a breezy 66 degrees, I figured it would be the perfect day to fulfill her request.

I wanted to make something a little different than my standard turkey chili recipe. And I'm all about fall inspired foods right now such as pumpkin, sweet potato, cinnamon etc. I have seen chili recipes that add sweet potato & I have seen recipes that add cinnamon but, never one featuring the two together. So that was my starting point, I knew I wanted my recipe to feature both of those. As I walked through the store, gathering ingredients I came across Hunt's diced tomatoes seasoned for chili. So I grabbed 2 of those & 1 basil, garlic & oregano (which I usually use in my turkey chili). *(if you can't find these flavors, see my note at the end of the recipe).

My original plan was to make this in my crock-pot however, I quickly realized I was running out room so, I switched to a 5 qt. pot & decided to slow-cook it on the stove top. As I was chopping ingredients, suddenly, apples came to mind. After all, I was already planing on adding sweet potatoes & cinnamon so, surely apples would be a nice complement to the flavors. And I love hearty soups full of vegetables so I decided to throw some carrots in there along with the traditional chili ingredients like onion, green pepper & lot's of garlic!  Look at all that goodness...



The end result was delicious!  The apples added a nice tang & sweetness to it that balanced out the spices.  I served it up with this Grain Free Almond Bread.  YUMMMM!!!

And so now I give you my all new recipe, highly approved by Mr. A & the super picky Miss M...

Sweet Potato & Apple Chili

 Ingredients:

1 20 oz. pkg. of lean ground turkey
1 Tbl.sp olive oil
1/4 C water
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. garlic salt (I use Lawrey's)
1 large yellow onion, diced
5-6 large cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large sweet potato peeled & cut into small chunks
1 green pepper diced
1 large carrot shredded
1 Braeburn apple, skin on, diced small
1 granny smith apple, skin on, diced small
1 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 15 oz. can light red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
2 cans Hunt's diced tomatoes seasoned for chili*
1 can of diced tomatoes, basil, garlic & oregano flavor*
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbl.sp chili powder
1/2 Tbl.sp ground cumin
1/2 Tbl. sp crushed black pepper
2 generous pinches of salt
1/2 Tbl. Sp. dark coconut sugar (cane sugar would work fine too)
12 oz. (1 1/2 C) of vegetable, chicken or beef broth.

Directions:

In a 5 qt. pot heat olive oil over med/hi heat.

Add ground turkey and break it up really well.

Add the water, salt & pepper. Continue cooking, stirring continuously until the meat is thoroughly cooked.

Add all produce, diced tomatoes & kidney beans. Stir well to mix.

Mix spices & sugar together in a small mixing bowl. Add broth & mix well. Pour over the contents in the pot and stir well.

Bring to a boil & stir constantly for 3-5 min. Cover and reduce heat to a very low simmer. Let simmer for at least 5 hours (8 would be better).

Garnish with your favorite chili toppings. (i.e. cheese, sour cream, green onions etc.)


*if you are unable to find the pre-seasoned diced tomatoes, add 1 more Tbl. Sp of chili powder, an additional 1/2 Tbl. Sp of cumin , 2 tsp. dried basil, 1 tsp. oregano & 1-2 more cloves of garlic.



No comments:

Post a Comment