Friday, November 16, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Parfaits (Gluten & Dairy Free) A Pin-Respin


So it was the first week of October & I couldn't pull my Fall Pin Board up fast enough. I was craving anything pumpkin. I browsed the large array of pumpkin recipes that I have saved over the last year & finally settled on this Pumpkin Pie Parfait recipe. Then I added the ingredients I would need to my next shopping list.

Well, the next day my 4 week old son had a well visit scheduled & his pediatrician informed me that I should remove gluten AND dairy from my diet as he (correctly) suspected them to be the culprit of some issues that my son was having. So my plans for the Pumpkin Pie Parfaits went out the window. Or did they???

Not a chance! One of the things that I really pride myself in, is the ability to transform recipes into equally delicious, healthy alternatives. Sometimes they flop but, most of the time, they turn out pretty great! And that was definitely the case with this Pin-Respin. So without further adieu, I give you my Gluten & Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie Parfait recipe:

First you will want to make the Coconut Whipped Cream. This recipe is enough for the whipped cream that needs to be folded into the pumpkin mixture as well as for layering about 4 parfaits. However, there is enough pumpkin mixture to make 6-8 parfaits so you may want to increase the whipped cream recipe.

Ingredients:

1 envelope unflavored gelatin (2 1/4 tsp)

1/4 cup cold water

1 (15-oz) can pure pumpkin

1/2 cup packed blond coconut sugar mixed with 1/2 TblSp. Molasses (a healthier alternative to brown sugar).

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/8 teaspoon salt

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

4 packages of Nana's NO GLUTEN Ginger Cookies (1 cookie per package), Crumbled


Directions:

Sprinkle gelatin over water in a small saucepan and let soften 1 minute. Bring to a bare simmer, stirring until gelatin has dissolved.
Whisk together gelatin mixture, pumpkin, brown sugar, vanilla spices, and salt in a large bowl.
Chill until set, at least 2 hours

Fold 1 cup of the coconut whipped cream into pumpkin mixture gently but thoroughly.

Spoon about 1/4 cup pumpkin mixture into bottom of each glass, then sprinkle with some of cookies and top with about 2 Tbsp whipped cream. Repeat layers once, ending with cream & a sprinkle of crumbled cookie.

Chill until set, at least 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment