Monday, July 9, 2012

Crock-Pot Applesauce



While this recipe (if you even want to call it that) won't really save you money (fresh produce can be SO expensive these days!), it comes out delicious and has more nutrients in it than your store bought varieties.  And no sugar or sweeteners (your kids will NEVER know!)  Plus, it's SO easy to make!

Here is what you need:

8 Apples Coarsely Chopped - NOT peeled (you keep all the fiber that way) (Choose a good variety, 2-3 of each kind for best flavor.  I used Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith & Braeburn)
2 Cinnamon Sticks
Juice of 1 Lemon
Rind of 1 Lemon peeled into about 6 long slices
Crock-Pot
Food Processor (if you like it smooth) or Electric Mixer (if you like it chunky).

Here is what you do:

Toss the chopped apples into the crock-pot and stir in the lemon juice and to coat all of the apples.  Throw the cinnamon sticks and the lemon peel on top.  Set your crock-pot to low and let it cook for 6 hours.

Remove the cinnamon sticks and lemon peel.  Toss everything into the food processor and blend to desired consistency.  If you like a chunkier applesauce, simply use an electric mixer (but then you may want to peel your apples first in that case).  And wa-la!  Simple isn't it?

Enjoy your applesauce warm or chilled.  (I LOVE it when it's warm!).  It would also be tasty over chicken, or in my homemade BBQ sauce (recipe will come).  And this kept well for over 3 weeks in the fridge.  You could also freeze some for later use or can it into smaller jars if you know how to do that sort of thing.

3 comments:

  1. awesome! i will have to try this. i usually just do mine as baked apples in a casserole dish w water and then scrape out the insides. i will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE applesauce! I had a raspberry version for breakfast, lunch and as my after-work snack today. :) This looks super. Unsweetened applesauce is so expensive here that I save a lot of money making my own, but even if I didn't, I'd still want to make it myself. So much tastier! And your page is so cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Erin & Leslie! (Sorry! Not sure how I previously missed these comments!)

    ReplyDelete