Monday, April 30, 2012

Butternut / Pumpkin Brownies


So, I had this butternut squash that I originally intended to use for a recipe on Pinterest. However, it involved a LOT of cutting of the raw squash and well, my knives probably are not the best because it's a huge struggle just to cut that sucker in half. Anyways, I racked my brain with other ideas...soup, pie, muffins, flan...been there, done all of that. And then, out of nowhere, I thought, BROWNIES! I Googled it and sure enough there were a few different versions of Butternut Brownies out there, so my idea was obviously not too off the wall. But, I wanted to keep them gluten free too. I found 2 very different recipes (one for for just plain brownies) and I decided to take bits and pieces from each and then add some of my own elements to create my own unique recipe. And it came out fantastic! Plus, they pack a ton of protein & fiber as well as some vitamin A, Vitamin E, Magnesium & even Omega 3's!  And, when placed in a Ziploc bag, these kept for 2 weeks in the fridge and were still as moist as ever!  *I recently made these for a friend and I didn't have any butternut squash on hand but, I did have canned pumpkin.  This worked just as well*  So, without further delay, here is what I came up with:

Butternut / Pumpkin Brownies


Pre-heat: 350

Ingredients:

2 TBL.SP Golden Flax Meal
6 TBL. SP Hot Water
1 12oz. jar of Maranatha Creamy, No-stir Almond Butter
1 C Roasted, pureed Butternut Squash (canned is fine too) OR Pumpkin
1 C Date Sugar
1/4 C Honey
1 TBL.SP Vanilla Extract
1/2 C Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 C Dark Chocolate Chips (I love the Enjoy Life brand...the only soy free Chips I have found)

1.) Combine Flax meal & hot water, let sit for 10 min.
2.) Meanwhile, put all of the ingredients (except for the chocolate chips) into a bowl and mix until very well blended, scraping the sides of the bowl (you can use a hand* or stand mixer or a food processor for this) *I found the hand mixer to be quick, simple and effective.
3.) Add the Flax Meal mixture and blend really well.
4.) Fold in the Chocolate Chips
5.) Spread batter evenly into an 8 x 8 pan (no need to grease)
6.) Bake at 350 for 40-50 Min.  (It SHOULD have cracks along the top when it's done...see photo)

7.) Let cool completely (or at least almost completely if you love warm brownies) before cutting (I have made this about 6 times thus far & every time, the batter seems a little un-done if you cut them while they are still hot...they need time to cool
& set).
8.) ENJOY!!!


Makes Apx. 16 Brownies

Nutrition Facts:
This is the total for the entire pan, the per-brownie calculation will depend on how big or small you make your servings...

Calories - 3968
Total Fat - 264 g
Dietary Fiber - 214 g
Sugar - 283 g
Protein - 89 g
Omega-3 - 1200 mg
Vitamin A - 300% dv

2 comments:

  1. These are seriously INCREDIBLE brownies. If you're looking for a healthy alternative to sugar-filled brownies, you have got to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback Jessica! I'm really glad you liked them! (sorry my response is so delayed...I missed this comment somehow)

      Delete