Monday, May 25, 2009

Freshen Up! (UPDATED 6/3/09)

For cloth diapering mama's everywhere, here are some quick and easy tips to "Freshen Up".

Wipes Warmer Maintenance


If your a cloth diapering mama & use a wipes warmer it's essential to perform a regular maintenance cleaning on your wipes warmer...preferably once a week. Over time, all of that warm moist water allows mold and bacteria to breed. I learned this the hard way when I went too long between cleanings, causing my daughter to get a bacterial diaper rash (I'm positive the unclean warmer was a huge trigger for this) which then turned to a yeast rash due to the antibiotic cream. So I have become a stickler for cleaning the warmer out on a weekly basis.

I use my homemade all purpose cleaner and a toothbrush (designated for household cleaning) to really clean all of the crevasses. NO BLEACH! (I get so paranoid that traces of the bleach would remain causing harm to my daughters ultra sensitive skin). My All Purpose cleaner is 50% vinegar which has been proven to kill well over 80% of mold and vinegar rinses clean very quickly. After that I also use a small amount of my daughters Little Twig unscented bubble bath to get some good clean sudsing action. I like to make sure it's REALLY clean. :)

Easy Breezy Oder Control

I keep soiled diapers in a FuzziBunz In & Out Mess Free Wet Bag hanging on the back of the bathroom door and I keep barrier cloths (when I use ointment) in a plastic bin, also in the bathroom. Even with laundering the diapers and cloths every other day there can often be a lingering aroma of ammonia in the air. Rather than buying the fancy pouches or devices with baking soda in them, I just keep it simple and ultra inexpensive. I just use a small cup and fill 1/2 way w/ pure baking soda and I place it on the shelf next to the barrier cloths (since they are less contained than the diapers). Baking soda dose a wonderful job at absorbing excess odor and keeping the air fresher. (Actually my daughter threw up all over the car one day and even after cleaning the upholstery you could still smell it....so I sprinkled baking soda all over and left it for 1 day....you could not smell anything.)

Because it's just a small amount of baking soda and it's in an open container, it needs to be refreshed often in order to remain effective. I usually give it a quick stir with my finger once a day to bring the bottom part up and at the end of the week I dump it into the toilet (let it stay for a while...it will help deodorize it too) and then I put fresh baking soda in the cup. Quick, simple & effective!

Fragrant & Soothing Wipes Solution

I place 1 tsp. of Little Twig unscented bubble bath and 2 drops of tea tree oil into a bowl. Then I boil 2 1/8 cups of water and pour it over 1/4 cup of loose lavender in a separate bowl or cup and cover. I let the lavender steep for about 10 min. Then I pour the lavender water through a sieve into the bowl w/ the other ingredients, gently pressing the excess moisture out of the lavender. Then I gently stir to blend all ingredients. Then I pour the entire solution over the dry wipes in the wipes warmer. UPDATE: *But do not plug in/use the warming feature as the heat mixed w/ the oils will cause the cloths to blacken. If you use a storage container other than a wipes warmer that's also perfect. (I previously suggested using 2 tsp. of the Little Twig BB however I was finding it to be a little too sudsy. If I had the bath wash as opposed to Bubble Bath 2 tsp. would probably be fine but BB suds up much more than bath wash/shampoo. )


The lavender water is very fragrant and calming and since it sits in the wipes warmer it allows the aroma to release into the nursery making it smell lovely...naturally.

Rather than tossing the brewed lavender, I place it in a small cup and set it in the bathroom where I store the dirty duds....it continues to release it's naturally fragrant aroma into the air even after being brewed. I make fresh solution every 2-3 days so I replace the old lavender w/ new and toss the old into a plant as natural compost. Putting nature back with nature.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent tips! I LOVE lavender! I have a little bottle of homemade perfume with lavender that I put on the girls after showers... it smells sooooooo good and is very soothing/relaxing!

    PS. If you ever have pee in the carpet then pour vinegar on it, let it sit for a little then soak it up as much as possible then sprinkle with baking soda. The vinegar will help kill the germs and the baking soda will neutralize any odors... for pet stains you can also use a little hydrogen peroxide and scrub it in with a toothbrush with the baking soda... does WONDERS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Serena!!! I need those tips! Our Dog sometimes gets jealous of the baby and takes it out on our carpet if you know what I mean. LOL

    ReplyDelete